Thursday, July 19, 2012

Not again...

Back in April I mentioned that Lucy fell into the tv cabinet at our house and had to get it glued. Thankfully, that scar has pretty much healed and is pretty small and not very noticeable. (They even say it takes 12-18 months in little ones for it to fade all the way).

Well....we are back to square one...it happened again.

Yesterday, we ran into the mall to get a gift for a friend and on our way out, after a "well behaved" visit, we usually stop and Lucy gets to play on the ride-on cars for a few minutes. She was jumping around from car to car and she saw the gumball candy machine "station" - that they have strategically placed next to the cars. She ran over to me asked is she could have a coin for a piece of candy. I told her I'd "look and see if I had a quarter, but that she needed to settle down a little bit" and as I started looking in my purse she ran over toward the station. Next thing I heard was a bonk. She turned around, put her hand down from her forehead and blood just started going everywhere - down her face, in her eyes, in her mouth...everywhere.....Worst.feeling.EVER! Needless so say, it was a little crazy for a few minutes trying to get the bleeding stopped and Lucy calmed down. I don't even think she hit it all that hard, as when we were leaving the mall she kept telling me "I bumped my head a little bit, but I'm okay."

We headed to Marcus's work to pick him up and then went to the ER after talking with our Pediatrician on the phone and him recommending having a Plastic Surgeon take a look at it.

The ER staff, tried to persuade us to just let them do it as they do it all the time, and it would make our visit much shorter, but after getting some advice from family we decided to wait for the surgeon. The surgeon, however, just went into a surgery so we were told at 2pm that he would probably be here at 5. So, 3+ hours later he came in and decided he wanted to glue it. We thought she would have to have stitches for sure, as even he said he usually sutures, but he thought it was shallow enough that glue would work best.

So, in the meantime, we are trying our best to keep Lucy from messing with the bandaid on her head (so far so good) and hoping that it heals well and has minimal scaring. The fact that it is on her forehead, just makes me sick to my stomach, and I know I can't protect her from everything and that accidents happen, but can I make her wear a helmet for the next 10 years of her life?


I should mention, this picture was taken at the hospital, when it was still bleeding a bit - it really isn't as big as it looks in this photo. It is a clean/straight line, so hopefully it heals well.

No comments: